from Mrs. H. and Claudette Davis-Bonnick
This is a PDF sewing pattern for a backpack bag by Sewing Patterns by Mrs. H., which accommodates three different types of straps, making it readily customize-able and accessible. Backpack straps, top handles, and a detachable shoulder strap will help you lug just about anything comfortably. Pockets help to keep track of where you’ve hidden your personal items. A hidden zipped pocket is added to the front to hold your keys or phone, and a zipped pocket inside for smaller items. A great bag for campus and commuting! Finished dimensions: 12″ (30.5 cm) wide, 14″ (35.5 cm) tall, and 3″ (7.5 cm) deep.
How to Sew an Easy Welt Seam:
“This is a fairly strong functional seam and the top-stitching (single or multiple rows) will add a decorative finish. Try experimenting with different types of thread for top stitching, e.g. satin thread. This seam is suitable for medium to heavy weight fabrics and seam allowances may vary.”
PRESS ALL STAGES FOR A SMOOTH, PROFESSIONAL FINISH
1. Using a 1.5 cm. seam allowance, place right sides of fabrics together and stitch.
2. Press seam flat on the wrong side to set the stitches and smooth out any seam pucker; then press open; now press both layers of seam allowance to the desired side as for a closed seam. Trim away approx 7 mm from the under layer of seam allowance and serge or zig-zag the top layer of the seam allowance.
3. Press the serged edge flat.
4. From the right side of the garment. top stitch to enclose the shorter seam allowance. The raw edge will now be concealed.
5. Extra layers of top-stitching may be added for a more decorative finish.
6. Top press and under-press for a professional finish.
Only press the seam to avoid over-pressing the entire garment.
Producing/Demonstrating: Claudette Davis-Bonnick
Filming: Nick Sargent
Editing: Nick Sargent Stills: Nick Sargent, Junior Bonnick
Thanks to: Oliver Furlong, Media Services, CLIP CETL “Making a Difference” funding at the London College of Fashion”