This pattern adapts the gorgeous front pleating detail of Constructiv Patterns larger clutch design to a cute compact size with an optional removable wristlet strap. This purse closes with a recessed zippered closure for a professional-looking finish. The clutch is fully lined with an interior pocket for discreet storage. The finished clutch purse will measure approximately 19 cm wide x 13 cm tall (7.5″ x 5″) with a 5 cm (2″) wide base at the widest part. This clutch is a lovely purse to carry to dinner, an evening out, weddings, proms, etc. The purse design suits fabrics such as medium to heavyweight satin including shantung, brocade, jacquard, raw silk, or light-weight fabrics with the addition of some fusible interfacing to add body and stability. This pattern is not suitable for fabrics which crease heavily, such as linen. This clutch purse project offers an ideal opportunity to sew with vintage or reclaimed fabrics! *Read the notes that accompany the sewing supplies list below for some good information about stabilizer.
- fabric for the clutch exterior: at least approx. a 35 x 60 cm (14” x 24”) piece. If buying off the roll you will need a 35 cm (14“) length.
- fabric for lining: at least approx. 65 x 20 cm (25 1/2” x 8”). if buying off the roll you will need a 20 cm (8”) length.
- mid-weight fusible woven interfacing: required for the pocket, facings and an optional strap. *Notes: Additionally, all but the stiffest fabrics will benefit from fusing interfacing to the entire front and back panels to add body. It is also advisable to reinforce the lining panels with a fusible interfacing, especially if using a slippery or lightweight lining fabric. Highly recommended: Pellon ShapeFlex Woven Fusible #SF-101 or Vilene Woven fusible G700. To cover both lining, exterior and all other required panels: if 90 cm (35 1/2”) wide, 40 cm (16”) length; if 51 cm(20”) wide, 70 cm (27 1/2”)length.
- non-fusible stabilizer: for a firm/ boxy clutch bag use a non-fusible heavy-weight interfacing, such as “Vilene Extra-Heavy Sew-in” (this comes in 90 cm/35” width, you need 20 cm/8” length) or “Pellon Peltex 70 Sew-in Ultra Firm (this comes in 51 cm / 20” width – you need 28 cm/11“ length). For a softer, more “pouchy” look try non-fusible hair canvas – a woven stabilizer used in tailoring.
- zipper: closed-end zipper, minimum 25 cm/10” length (longer is fine as the excess can be trimmed), 6 mm (3/16th“) width teeth. The zipper can be nylon or metal but it’s important that the teeth are not narrower than this.
- hemming tape: 1.5 -2.5 cm (5/8” -1”) width fusible tape.
More beautiful clutch purse projects featured at PatternPile:
The latest from some of our partners:
- Rudolph the Reindeer - Amigurumi from DIY Fluffies
- Sweet Treats Holiday Gift & Goody Bags from Cozy Nest Designs
- The Packlet Pouch from StudioKat Designs
- New Collections of Fabrics & Panels from QuiltGirls
- Gift Tags and Bags for Confident Beginners from Sewn Ideas
- 45+ Free Sewing Projects for the Kitchen – Video Series featured at Sew What's New