The Loose-leaf Knapsack can be carried across the body or over the shoulder as a messenger bag, or as a backpack. This multi-size bag design is what I consider to be “convertible” as it transforms into a completely new bag style simply by re-arranging the straps. The bag straps are removable as well as adjustable and are easy to re-configure using the swivel clasps. There are three different top closure options and three size options. The smallest size is ideal for small children, and the largest size bag accommodates most laptops. The two exterior gusseted pockets can be made as cargo or accordion pockets, also known as bellows pockets. (There’s a free sewing video about constructing bellows pockets below!) An exterior side pocket with elastic around the top of this bag makes it the perfect place for a water bottle. The Loose-leaf Knapsack can be created using almost any sturdy fabric, such as vinyl, leather, canvas, heavy cotton, and denim. The flap closure is just asking for some embroidery, applique, or fabric paints.
The PDF sewing pattern includes a cutting chart and full-size printable pieces for the bag flap. It also includes 27 pages of clear, easy-to-follow instructions, accompanied by illustrations. The Loose-leaf Knapsack can be sewn by an intermediate sewer or a beginner sewer who wants to improve their sewing skill set. The Loose-leaf Knapsack was originally part of the S is for Sewing eBook from Sewing with Boys.
Finished Loose-leaf Knapsack Sizes: drawstring closures add 1” to the height
- small: 12″ wide x 10″ high x 3″ deep
- medium: 14″ wide x 11″ high x 3.5″ deep
- large: 16″ wide x 12″ high x 4″ deep
✂️ More backpacks to sew:
The latest from some of our partners:
- Just Arrived - Today's Newest Fabric Collections!
- Totes & Bags eBook from Candi Jensen and Heather Vantress
- COUPON Codes for PDF Pattern Bundles from DIY Fluffies
- The Packlet Pouch from StudioKat Designs
- The Essential Cross-body Bag for All Ages from Sewn Ideas
- Face Mask Sewing Tutorials + Printable Patterns featured at Sew What's New